Maximizing your energy is a critical component to being your best in every aspect of your life. We all want to have enough quality energy each day to give our best at work and then be able to fully engage with our family and friends at the end of the day.
I’ve blogged in the past about why your energy is so important. In this post I want to highlight 5 supplements that you can help you maximize your health and energy levels.
Before I move into the supplements, it’s important to know that the supplement industry is one of the most unregulated industries in the world. Be aware that manufacturers can make claims in their marketing that are unfounded and misleading. Also, there is no regulating body that ensures the consumer is getting the quality and amount of ingredients that a bottle claims.
I suggest avoiding supplements that lack scientific research to support marketing claims. I also suggest only using reputable companies that have established credibility. You pay a little more for the product, but you will have piece of mind that the ingredient are high quality. It’s always a smart idea to consult your physician about your supplementation.
1) Multivitamin – Taking a high quality multivitamin is important as it is a “gap-filler” for the vitamins and minerals you may be lacking in your food intake. On the days you are not able to get the level of nutrients you need, the multivitamin can ensure your energy is maintained.
2) Omega-3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) – Omega-3 Fatty Acids help decrease triglyceride levels, boosts HDL cholesterol levels (the good one) and decreases blood pressure. Fish oil has also been found to increase brain function and protect against brain disorders. The healthier your heart and brain, the more you will maximize your energy. Take at least 500 mg of DHA and 500 mg of EPA daily.
3) Vitamin D-3 – More than likely you are deficient in this vitamin and need more to reach your energy potential. A study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism found that Vitamin D-3 significantly decreased participant’s feelings of fatigue. Take 2000-3000 IU daily.
4) Green Tea Extract – Containing the powerful antioxidant EGCg, Green Tea Extract increases your metabolic rate that increase your ability to burn fat. Green Tea Extract has also been found to fight cancer cells. Containing natural caffeine, this supplement will boost your energy and mood. Take 1000mg daily. Don’t take this supplement if you are pregnant.
5) Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) – According to the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center, CoQ10 helps increase energy by increasing cell functioning in the body. One study found that people who began taking CoQ10 doubled their energy level within two month. This supplement is especially helpful for people using a statin medication. Take 100 mg daily.
These supplements are proven to help you boost your energy, but it’s not necessary to take all five to them. Most doctors will suggest that you make a multivitamin, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, and vitamin D-3 a part of your daily nutrition plan. These 3 supplements are foundational and I use them daily as a part of my health and energy plan. Choose between CoQ10 and Green Tea Extract based on personal preference and your lifestyle. If you enjoy drinking green tea it’s a no-brainer to use it in your plan. If you are taking a statin, you’ll get great benefit using CoQ10.
With a small investment, you can ensure you are boosting your health and maximizing your energy.
Image courtesy of Tungphoto via freedigital photos.net